Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

First Full Day!

Well, I think we are all exhausted after today and the first full day back to school.  Today my reading class took the Words Their Way assessment for spelling.  This assessment will allow me the ability to better differentiate my spelling groups.  We are taking a new approach to spelling this year, and we are not going to have formal Friday spelling tests like we have had in the past.  Research has shown that spelling tests are ineffective for most students, especially students with any kind of learning difference in language.  Instead we will be assessing patterns that are found in the English language.  For example, if we are learning closed syllables with the short /a/ sound, we might have an assessment on Friday having the class spell the words, cat, hat, cab, lab, etc.  However, the students will not be given these words ahead of time, they will simply use their knowledge of language to spell the words.  I know this may sound unorthodox, but I think it will be much more authentic and be of better use to the kids.  I will be giving more information about this later, but thought I would go ahead and test the waters.  I would love to know any thoughts you have on this, so please leave comments, and we can get a dialogue started.



Today we also reviewed school rules, and read the book David Goes to School by David Shannon.  This is a good way to introduce expectations and rules without seeming to be to "preachy." After reading the story we made our own Davids and created scenarios of how to act appropriately at school.
I was very impressed with the classes coordination, and ability to create some very sophisticated characters.  I can already tell that this class is going to be amazing!

3 comments:

  1. I love your idea for learning spelling instead of memorizing! Way to think out of the box. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie was very excited to assemble his "me bag" last night. At first, he just wanted to put favorite toys and such in the bag to share. I reinforced the instructions to select items that help his classmates get to know him. He repacked his bag and described his items with more of an association to himself. Talking in front of peers is such a great exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They did an amazing job with their presentations today! I was very impressed with the choices of objects they put in their me bags. Mostly, I was impressed with their ability to verbalize the importance each object has in their life and how it is indicative of their personality.

    Thank you for the feedback about spelling. Once I have finished with the pre-assessments and place the students in spelling groups I will start assigning spelling homework!

    ReplyDelete