Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Touch Math

Touch Math is an excellent strategy for children to use when they are adding and subtracting.  When adding, I teach the class to start with the largest number and add the smaller number using the touch-points on the chart.  I'm not using the term commutative property at this point in the year with 2nd/3rd graders, but I am stressing the fact that it doesn't matter which number is added first.  As we progress students will have a better foundation of arithmetic principles, and then we will associate the properties with their specific names.  I have found that a big reason students dislike math is because they do not understand the "wordy" lingo associated with operations.

When completing Xtramath at home I suggest using the Touch Math strategy of adding the smaller number to the larger number, even if it takes a bit longer.  At this point I think the process and building a stronger number sense is more important than making "good time" on Xtramath. Speed will come with competency.


2 comments:

  1. It is probably user error, but I am having difficulty putting in Charlie's enrolment code so that he is linked to the classroom. I have gone about it several ways (including "click enroll" directions), but I am told that I already have an account and Charlie is a user (which is true). However, I have never been able to enter code, only Pin. Anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, how frustrating! I can see his progress on my end, but I know you would like to chart his progress as well. I can tell that most of the parents have been able to use the code to enroll, but I would like to know if there are any concerns.

    Also, I'm curious how Xtramath is working at home. I have heard from several parents that the program goes too fast, and I have adjusted the wait time. I'm wondering if that is making a difference. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete